The Detroit Free Press reported Tuesday that the Lions were exploring the possibility of a new bowl game for their stadium which would see the Big Ten taking on the ACC. The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl, as the Free Press notes, has a Big Ten tie in, but has often struggled to fill the slot given the conference's lack of bowl eligible teams.
With meaningful late December football often at a premium in the Motor City, it makes sense the Lions want to increase the specter of Detroit's bowl game. In addition to attendance issues, half the problem with the game in the past has certainly been its name. The Motor City Bowl sounded good, but lacked sizzle. The Little Caesars Pizza Bowl had that sizzle, but wasn't marquee enough to motivate a much broader audience.
So what would be motivating to a national audience, yet also speak to the Lions' and the city of Detroit hosting the game? Here's five ideas the Ford Field folk should bring to their next board meeting on the issue. After all, a bigger game needs to be matched with a much bigger name.
The Allstate Good Hands Bowl, Hosted By Calvin Johnson
- A true winner. Satisfies certain advertising and marketing needs while maintaining a definite Detroit overtone.
The Detroit Lions' Owen Sixteen Classic
- Bowl games often celebrate history, so why should the Lions shrink from their past, no matter how embarrassing it might be?
The 'It's So Cold In The D!' Bowl
- Hey, it is December in Michigan, after all. Perhaps the big break that T-Baby and company need to get their musical career off the ground.
The Ford Trucks Bowl
- Sometimes, the best method within naming is to keep things simple. There's no lack of brand identity here, especially with the game being hosted at Ford Field. May as well give away some cars, too.
The Pure Michigan Bowl
- Unfortunately, this is probably a serious contender. The ubiquitous advertising campaign appears literally everywhere else inside and outside the state.
As we wait for additional news on Detroit's bowl game future, ponder a few more names of your own. Clearly, the Lions have a chance to finally strike it rich with a bigger profile game and a better name.
No related posts.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/v7c